Enhance your understanding of effective leadership models and style and become a more effective leader at work as a veterinarian.
This course is part of the Edward Jenner Leadership for Veterinary Professionals program, which will enable you to develop your confidence and competence in your leadership as a veterinary professional.
Experiment with and develop your leadership style and practice
On this second course in the Edward Jenner Leadership for Veterinary Professionals program, you’ll explore the ways that your leadership impacts others.
You’ll discover key concepts like power in the workplace and learn about leadership models and styles.
You’ll explore inclusivity in the workplace and learn ways that you can be a more inclusive leader.
This course will equip you with the fundamental leadership knowledge you need to grow your leadership skills as a veterinarian, so you are more able to take on the challenges of daily life working in the veterinary sector.
What topics will you cover?
- An introduction to the method of study.
- Understand more about ‘self’ and how we interpret and impact the world around us.
- Understand your bias and how to develop more inclusive leadership practice.
- Discover how the way you see the world around you impacts how you act.
- Understand the role of care in leadership.
- Understand ‘power’ and how it shows up in the workplace.
- Experiment with influencing styles.
- Understand distributed and heroic leadership models.
- Develop adaptive leadership practices.
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts.
- Available now
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to:
- Reflect on the use of ‘self’ and how we interpret and impact the world around us.
- Develop an awareness of personal bias’ and how to develop more inclusive leadership practice.
- Describe how the way we see the world around us impacts how we act.
- Describe the role of care in leadership practice.
- Explore ‘power’ and how it impacts how we show up in the workplace.
- Experiment with influencing styles.
- Model distributed leadership models of behaviour.
- Model adaptive leadership practices.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone working in the veterinary sector but has been created with newly practising veterinary professionals in mind.
It will be especially helpful to those who are new to leadership in the workplace.
Who will you learn with?
Jason is Advisor for Distance Learning at the NHS Leadership Academy. He has worked as a digital innovator, learning designer and leadership development facilitator.
Clare has worked in the NHS for all her career, in clinical practice, education and management, she is currently a Head of Service at the NHS Leadership Academy.
Greer is a veterinary surgeon who works as a Policy Officer and on the Leadership Initiative at the RCVS. She has previously worked in small animal clinical practice.
Anthony is Director of Leadership and Innovation at the RCVS and is responsible for the delivery of the strategic ambition to become a Royal College with leadership and innovation at its heart.
Who developed this course?
NHS Leadership Academy
Our purpose is to work with our partners to deliver excellent leadership across the NHS to have a direct impact on patient care.
Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons
Setting, upholding and advancing the educational, ethical and clinical standards of veterinary surgeons and veterinary nurses.
Join this course
$259.99 for one year
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
About the School
Learn 100% online with world-class universities and industry experts. Develop your career, learn a new skill, or pursue your hobbies with flexible online courses.