The Clinical Psychology concentration of the Master of Arts program in Psychology at WKU is a 2-year concentration that prepares students to be successful performing both research and therapy in the multicultural world of today. The concentration is practice-oriented, offering a broad foundation for the professional who will render a wide variety of psychological services at the M.A. level. Graduates obtain employment in mental health centers, rehabilitation centers, college counseling centers, and various other mental health agencies. Many graduates choose to pursue further education at the doctoral level and are successful in these endeavors. The program holds a primarily Cognitive Behavioral theoretical orientation. The concentration prepares students for the national ASPPB certification examination, required to practice psychology in many states.
Here are some highlights of the concentration:
- Small Classes: Students receive individual attention with a low student/faculty ratio.
- Diversity: We value diversity in our students and find a diverse class enhances student understanding and expertise.
- Flexibility: Students can select some courses to individually tailor the concentration to their desires. Students can also complete 60 hours in the concentration, allowing them to qualify to apply for the Licensed Practicing Psychologist license in the state of Kentucky.
- Practicum: Students complete three semesters in our Psychology Training Clinic; two of these will involve performing both assessments and therapy for clients. The practica theoretical orientation is Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy.
- Internship: Students complete two semesters at local agencies, including community mental health centers, crisis stabilization units, and the University Counseling and Testing Center.
- Breadth of Preparation: Students work with clients across the life-span.
- Assistantship: Financial support, including potential out of state tuition waiver, is available on a limited basis.
- Faculty: All members of the clinical faculty are licensed in the area.
About the School
Welcome to Western Kentucky University (WKU), home of the Hilltoppers. Our hilltop campus is a place of beauty and friendliness. WKU is located in Bowling Green, Kentucky, a city with a population of ... Read More