The Eastern Virginia Medical School Medical Master's degree is a one or two year, special master's program. The majority of the courses are medical school courses taken with first-year medical students. This post-baccalaureate program is an academic record enhancing program designed to make students more competitive for allopathic and osteopathic medical schools as well as dental schools.
The program provides an opportunity for highly motivated students to improve their academic credentials by demonstrating their academic abilities in a rigorous medical school environment. For this reason, it is particularly suitable to help students make themselves more competitive applicants to medical or dental programs.
Applicants to the program must have: a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution in the U.S. or Canada* prior to matriculating at EVMS.Official transcripts from the awarding institution must indicate the date the degree was conferred. successfully completed each of the following medical school prerequisite courses with a grade of "C" or better:
- 2 semesters or 3 quarters of physics with labs.
- 2 semesters or 3 quarters of organic chemistry/biochemistry with labs.
- 2 semesters or 3 quarters of chemistry with labs.
- 2 semesters or 3 quarters of biology with labs.
Online coursework is not accepted to fulfill prerequisite requirements. Prerequisite courses taken abroad are generally not accepted, however, exceptions may be granted on a case-by-case basis.
- a cumulative grade point average of 2.75 (B-) or better.
- MCAT - (Students pursuing Medical School).
- [One-Year Program] MCAT with a score of at least 27 on the old exam or 503 on the new exam.
- [Two-Year Program] MCAT with a score of at least 23 on the old exam or 496 on the new exam.
- We will accept MCAT scores from exams taken January 2014 to present for the 2016-2017 school year.
- Applicants with an MCAT score below the accepted minimum for either program will not be considered for admission.
- DAT - (Students pursuing Dental School).
Taken the DAT with an Academic Average score of 18, with no less than a 17 in any section. We will accept DAT scores taken from January 2013 to present for the 2016-2017 school year. GRE - We do not accept GRE scores.
Please see the EVMS MD requirements which are slightly different from the Medical Master's program.
If applying to our MD program, you need to make sure you also fulfill those requirements. Applicants must be U.S. citizens or U.S. Permanent Residents. All courses to fulfill the degree requirements for the Medical Master's program must be taken at EVMS.
No credit will be given for courses taken at another institution. Since we have a rolling admissions process, applicants are encouraged to apply early and submit all of their application materials as they become available, even when planning to take the MCAT/DAT at a later date. When your MCAT/DAT score is received, your file will be complete and ready for review by the admissions committee.
Why EVMS Med Master?
Since 1995, the EVMS Medical Master's Program has helped 85-90% of our students successfully place themselves in the entering classes of allopathic medical schools across the United States. Our Medical Master's Program has a rigorous medical curriculum with five of eight courses taken with first-year medical students, offers help in the non-academic aspects of the MD application, and is highly respected by medical schools. We have multiple levels of staff to support, mentor, and counsel students in a cooperative learning environment with a cohesive faculty.
The EVMS Medical Master's Program also offers:
- Majority of classes are taken with medical students.
- Practice Medical Interviews and Feedback.
- Exposure to Standardized Patients.
- Assistance with Medical School applications.
- Volunteer/Community Service Opportunities.
- Introduction to ultrasound.
- Regional dissection.
- Committee Letter.
Unique to our Two-Year Program:
- Structured clinical opportunities.
- Structured volunteer activities.
- MCAT/DAT test preparation.
Medical Master’s Program In-State Out-of-State
- One-Year: Traditional Program $35,142 $39,568.
- Two-Year: Extended Program $23,500 $26,500.
About the School
EVMS prepares learners for careers as competent and compassionate physicians, health-care professionals and scientists. Our students benefit from the broad range of instruction provided by our full-ti ... Read More