MSc Biomedical Science
University of Salford
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 - 3 year
Full time, Part time
GBP 17,550 / per year *
Earliest start date
* full-time International students; Home students £9,990 per year; Part- time: £1,665 per 30 credits
The COVID-19 pandemic has refocused our attention on health. With increased awareness of viruses and age-related risks in heart disease, dementia, stroke, pulmonary disorders, and cancer, now is a great opportunity to understand how we can better manage these challenges by studying our highly relevant Biomedical Science postgraduate course.
Led by internationally-renowned academics with track records in world-leading research, our courses focus on exploring personalized medicine, targeted therapies and medicine, and the move away from a ‘ one size fits all’ treatment and care of patients with a particular condition.
Available with full and part-time study routes, our course is recommended for science graduates and industry professionals who want to build knowledge about the underlying causes of diseases. During your studies, you will develop knowledge about current and novel diagnostics and treatments of disorders, and apply your skills in our world-class Bodmer Laboratories, as you can take your biomedical knowledge to the next level.
- Build advanced knowledge of key biomedical science topics, including genomics, disease pathology, and immunology
- Learn about research that uses cutting-edge experimental techniques and direct engagement with biomedical communities
- Develop comprehensive, multi-disciplinary expertise in specialist subject areas, integrated with applied clinical laboratory skills
This is for You if...
- You are a science graduate interested in aligning your skills with the future of medicine and biological science
- You are a science professional fascinated by some of the latest bioscience research outcomes and keen to enhance your knowledge in this field
- You are a science graduate eager to gain postgraduate level skills and ready to get hands-on with clinical lab work
Our MSc Biomedical Science course is delivered through a range of highly focused modules. The 180-credit MSc award comprises eight taught modules, plus a research dissertation.
Flexibility is at the heart of our learning approach. You can choose to study this postgraduate course full-time or part-time on campus, with start dates each January and September:
- As a full-time student, you will complete four 15-credit taught modules in each of the first two trimesters on campus. In the final trimester, you will complete a dissertation worth 60 credits.
- As a part-time student, you will complete two 15-credit modules in each of the first four trimesters on campus. In two additional trimesters, you will complete a dissertation worth 60 credits.
The Biomedical Science postgraduate course is delivered by an academic team with exceptional research experience and extensive professional connections.
- Postgraduate Scholarship Skills
- Pathologies of Human Disease
- Immunology and Haematology
- Research Design and Delivery
- Inflammation and Cardiovascular Disorders
- Infectious Disease Control
- Professional Practice
- Research Project
This course is designed to prepare you for careers in scientific research, academia, and related employment fields. With growing interest in biomedical science fuelled by the COVID-19 pandemic, your newly acquired knowledge and skills will open up career opportunities in scientific research and the healthcare sector.
Many of our biomedical science graduates secure roles working as research assistants and technicians in clinical and research laboratories and at pharmaceutical and biotechnology organizations. Other graduates have used the knowledge and skills developed in this course to gain acceptance into medical schools.
We also find that many bioscience graduates want to share their subject passion with others, which often leads to roles working as lecturers and teachers in universities and schools.
You might also choose to take your subject interest further with postgraduate research. Our Biomedical Research Centre is a vibrant, collaborative community home to Ph.D. and Research Master’s opportunities to explore a range of topics, including microbiology, parasitology, medicinal chemistry, oncology, and cell biology.